Friday, August 24, 2012

Some online resources

While I'm finishing my syllabus, I thought I might as well add some online resources I'll be using this semester (while I'm still thinking about it).

"Time Wastes Too Fast," by Maira Kalman
Gorgeous visual essay about the artist's experience at Monticello, and her thoughts on Jefferson's many and varied passions.

"Paintings That Shouldn't Work: Elisabeth Condon," by Franklin Einspruch over at Art Critical
I really like these features from Art Critical. They are a great example of visual analysis (and sometimes research)....they write a researched analysis in my class that is very similar to this style of writing.

TED Talks are always fun. Last semester, I used Stefan Sagmeister's piece on how design can make you happy. This one (by Ursus Wehrli on "Tidying Up Art" is pretty funny and creative).

The Museum of Non-Visible Art (a James Franco-related project--HA!). This is a Kickstarter project that asked backers to purchase non-visible (aka imaginary!) art based on the description (these are located on the right-hand side of the page---you can scroll through them here). Someone actually purchased the non-visible conceptual project called "Clean Air" for $10,000 (no, I'm not joking---the woman who bought it said she did it for her own publicity, hilariously enough). As an in-class activity, I have students write-up a a project for this museum (setting price, title, description, etc.). It's usually pretty funny.

I have a YouTube playlist called Inspiration and Creativity--some of the videos I've mentioned are here, and others you might find interesting/useful. I love showing the Sally Mann video (it's not too long, and I love how she talks about her process), and Lynda Barry is on there (I adore her), and also Shea Hembrey (he created a faux-biennial where he assumed the persona of 100 different artists, creating work in their styles (and bios and artist statements!) and curating an exhibition. That's a great one.

Looking forward to seeing what you post! Have a wonderful first week.

No comments:

Post a Comment